Here you will find a clear summary of current figures from the German solar industry.
The dynamic growth of solar energy in Germany can be shown in numbers. In this section, you can find fact sheets that summarize the most important market indicators for the German photovoltaic, solar thermal and solar battery storage market.
Fact sheet photovoltaics (PDF)
Fact sheet solar thermal (PDF)
Since 2006, the German Solar Association gathers price data for PV modules and PV systems on a quarterly basis. To that end, research provider EuPD-Research interviews 100 solar installation companies and summarizes developments in a price index. In addition, the following data is gathered in the German PV Module Price Monitoring:
- Development of module net purchasing prices (by technology and origin of product),
- Price Index for PV-Modules und PV-installations (including historical development),
- Development of turn key costs for PV-installations (by size and place of construction),
- Split of turn key costs of < 30 kWp systems in different cost components.
Since 2013, the German Solar Association gathers price data for solar battery storage systems on a semi-annual basis. The German Solar Battery Storage Price Monitoring summarizes price data of the most important battery storage market segments. To that end, research provider EuPD-Research interviews 80 market actors and summarizes developments in a price index. In addition, the following data is gathered in the German Solar Battery Storage Price Monitoring:
- Development of battery system price (per kWh and system size),
- Split of turn key costs of battery system price in different cost components,
- Share of AC-/DC-coupled storage systems,
- Share of battery systems installed together with a PV system or as a retrofit,
- Additional functions of sold storage systems.
By subscribing, solar installation companies and dealers can gain important insights for their price calculations. Members receive this BSW product at a preferential price.
Our member companies receive fast and reliable industry information, internal market data and studies through regular German Solar Association decision-makers’ reports, information papers and publications. For example, our member companies receive quarterly market analyses of:
- the business climate for the German photovoltaic market,
- new PV installations registered with the German Federal Network Agency,
- the business climate for the German solar thermal market,
- sales volumes of solar thermal collectors.
If you are a member company, feel free to contact Dr. Andrea Liesen in case you miss any information or statistics.
BSW gathered the over 2 million PV-installations registered in Germany between 1990 and the end of 2020 in one Excel file. This allows users to either import the data into their data base, or analyse it in Excel directly. The information is based on merging historical and current PV-installation registers of the German Federal Network Agency. Members receive this BSW product at a preferential price.
In Detail, the following information is included for PV-installations registered in the respective time periods:
- From 2019 to December 2020: installed capacity, registration date and date of installation, place of construction (rooftop, ground mounted), postal code, city, state, number of PV-modules, fully or partially feeding into the grid, alignment.
- From 2010 to 2018: installed capacity, registration date, postal code, state.
- From 1990 to 2009: installed capacity, registration year, postal code, state.